So much for my attempts to post regularly. Now living in a house with plenty of blank walls against which to take finished object shots (something sorely lacking from my last place of residence) I had the very best of intentions to post more regularly, but between coming down with glandular fever and my camera dying on me, it didn’t quite turn out that way. Still, better late than never.
I have, at least, actually been doing a great deal of knitting over the last few months. Admittedly it’s been mostly to keep my hands occupied while I play endless hours of Dragon Age, but the point is that I’m knitting, right? So, without further ado, the first in what will hopefully be a string of finished object posts.
Pattern: Hickory by Cecily Glowik MacDonald
Yarn: Bendigo Woollen Mills Rustic 12ply.
Colour commentary: I started this so long ago that it’s actually embarrassing. Ravelry suggests it was February 2014 but I have a sneaking suspicion that I might have cast on even earlier than this. Don’t let the dates fool you; this was actually an incredibly fast knit. That I promptly finished and tossed in my wardrobe, having tried it on briefly and deemed it to be unflattering. Not entirely sure what I was thinking, in hindsight.
At any rate, this got plucked out again on a sunny morning in May. I was quite wretchedly hung over but was still required to be social, so I grabbed the nearest knit so I would have something to do while I smiled, nodded and wished ever so fervently that I was still asleep. So I sat on the roof of the house, made polite conversation, and weaved in the last few ends of my Hickory. One blocking later and I realised that I actually liked it after all.
So all’s well that ends well. Or something. It’s a shame it took a blinding hangover to get me there, but it’s a good place to be. Now I’m well and truly won over, I actually wear this all of the time. It’s very practical for layering, and I can wear it over most of the long-sleeved shirts I own. The cowl provides me with a lot of extra warmth around my throat and chest, just where I need it most, and the waist shaping keeps things as flattering as a bulky vest can possibly be. (actually, the other day someone asked if I was wearing a corset underneath. Which was, you know, kind of a strange question, but I’ll assume that it at least indicates that the vest is not horribly shapeless!)
I’m also pathetically grateful to have finally found a home for this yarn. It’s been at least three other projects, but I was never 100% happy with how the slight fuzziness of the yarn was playing out in pattern. I think it works here though; the fuzziness softens everything a bit but the patterned stitches still show through. I’m a bit concerned about future pilling, as I’ve had this issue with BWM Rustic in the past, but we’ll see how we go, I suppose. That’s why we have lint shavers, after all.
And yes, I needed a haircut very badly when these photos were taken. I fact, I feel I should just issue a general apology for these photos, as they were taken on my camera phone and are really not very good even by my standards. Thankfully, my camera-camera is up and running again, so hopefully we won’t have this problem again for a while!